The long pepper has been forgotten for quite some time, whereby it had its entry into Europe at the time of Alexander the Great, a great while before the peppercorns came to us. Even the Greeks and the Romans used the long pepper as a medicine as well as a spice.
This pepper variety is similar in taste to black pepper, whereby its sharpness is stronger. But it has a lot more to offer than just being hot. It is delicious, full of flavor with a warm taste like licorice and dark chocolate.
It is a pity that this pepper is unknown to lots of people. Finally, the star gastronomy has rediscovered it and cooking shows on TV make use of it.
The aroma of Long Pepper
Long Pepper has a sharp, warm and at the same sweet flavor of licorice and dark chocolate. It is sharper than black pepper but not pungent.
Culinary use of Piper Longum
- It is ideal for refining wine sauces. Just add a dash of pepper in the sauce.
- Use it to prepare vegetables, poultry or meat broths.
- Also for vegetarians, the pepper is a delicate variant to black pepper. It goes well with grilled as well as stewed vegetable dishes.
- For salad dressings, herbal quarks or cheese dips gives a special note.
- Its flavors also meat, game, and poultry.
- A delicious herb butter seasoned with it is also a great highlight to the barbecue evening.
- For a special occasion, they can also boil a strawberry jam with pepper. This then for breakfast or with a piece of cheese. Simply delicate.
- For the summer when preparing ice cream, you can also add pepper long. Fits perfectly with fruit ice creams like mango sorbet, strawberry ice cream or vanilla.
- You can also put it into a spice mill. You can also combine it with other delicate pepper varieties such as cube pepper.
handling of pipli
You can cut the pepper before you grind it in a pepper mill, or leave it whole and gently rub it on a grater just like a nutmeg.
Please store the long pepper, airtight, in a dry and from the sun-protected place.