The long pepper is also commonly called pole pepper or bengal pepper, and its botanical name is Piper longum. It is widely used in India and absolutely brilliant. The long pepper gave the whole pepper variety its name - piper.
The long pepper has been forgotten for a long time, whereby it had its entry into Europe at the time of Alexander the Great, long before the pepper grains came to us. Even the Greeks and the Romans used the long pepper as a medicine and spice.
The long pepper is sharp like the black pepper, whereby its sharpness is stronger. It has a lot more to offer. It is delicious, full of flavor with a warm taste like licorice and dark chocolate.
It is a pity that this pepper is unknown to lots of people. Finally the star gastronomy has rediscovered it and cooking shows on TV make use of it.
Long Pepper has a sharp, warm and at the same sweet flavor of liquorices and dark chocolate. It is sharper than black pepper but not pungent.
- Pepper Lang is ideal for refining wine sauces. Just add a pepper in the sauce.
- Use pepper long to prepare vegetables, poultry or meat broths.
- Also for vegetarians, the pepper is a delicate variant to black pepper. It goes well with grilled as well as stewed vegetable dishes.
- Pepper long salad dressings, herbal quarks or cheese dips a special note.
- Pepper long spices naturally also meat, game and poultry.
- A delicious herb butter seasoned with pepper long is also a great highlight to the barbecue evening.
- For a special occasion, they can also boil a strawberry jam with pepper. This then for breakfast or with a piece of cheese. Simply delicate.
- For the summer when preparing ice cream, you can also add pepper long. Fits perfectly with fruit ice cream like mango sorbet, strawberry ice cream or vanilla.
- You can also put the pepper long into a spice mill. You can also combine it with other delicate pepper varieties such as cube pepper.
You can cut the pepper before you grind it in a pepper mill, or leave it whole and gently rub it on a grater just like a nutmeg.
Please store the long pepper cool, airtight, in a dry and from the sun protected place.