Long Pepper, whole
Long Pepper bears the following names: Indian Long Pepper, Pipli, Bengal pepper, and piper longum.
What does the Bengal pepper taste like?
The Bengal Pepper has an intense - spicy aroma with delicate notes of licorice and dark chocolate. It is also sharper than black Pepper and has no floral notes like this.
Long Pepper the first Pepper in Europe
The long Pepper has been somewhat forgotten by us, although it had its arrival in Europe, before the grains known to us. Pipli has been used in Europe since the time of Alexander the Great. And even with the Greeks and the Romans, the Piper longum (also here available in red) was already known as a remedy and spice.
It is a pity that it has been forgotten because its aroma has many uses. Luckily, gastronomy has rediscovered it for themselves, and it is worthwhile to follow it up and cook with it.
The aroma of Long Pepper
Long Pepper has a sharp, warm, and at the same sweet flavor of licorice and dark chocolate. It is more intense than black Pepper but not pungent.
Culinary use of Piper Longum
- It is ideal for refining wine sauces. Just add a dash of Pepper in the sauce.
- Use it to prepare vegetables, poultry, or meat broths.
- Also, for vegetarians, the Pepper is a delicate variant to Black Pepper. It goes well with grilled as well as stewed vegetable dishes.
- For salad dressings, herbal quarks or cheese dips gives a special note.
- Its flavors also meat, game, and poultry.
- A delicious herb butter seasoned with it is also a great highlight to the barbecue evening.
- For a special occasion, they can also boil a strawberry jam with Pepper. This then for breakfast or with a piece of cheese. Simply delicate.
- For the summer, when preparing ice cream, you can also add Pepper long. It fits perfectly with fruit ice creams like mango sorbet, strawberry ice cream, or vanilla.
- You can also put it into a spice mill. You can also combine it with other delicate pepper varieties such as red Kampot, cubeb pepper, wild Madagascar pepper Voatsiperifery, or Tasmanian Pepper.
handling of Pipli
You can cut the Pepper before you grind it in a pepper mill, or leave it whole and gently rub it on a grater just like a nutmeg.
Please store the long Pepper, airtight, in a dry and from the sun-protected place.